Friday, April 2, 2021

stations (good friday 2021)

i’m either in the garden of discontent 
                                                            or being threatened with death
 
i remember every betrayal and every kiss 
                                                                   and i’ve carried those burdens ever since
 
all this effort to cast judgement  
                                                   i lost my footing for a time
 
you pretended not to know me 
                                                  so i looked for faces i could recognize
 
pronouncements were made by strangers 
                                                                  and yet strangers came to my aid
 
sticks, stones, glass, thorns, words 
                                                        shape the way everything is seen
 
i take up the burden of you again 
                                                      and lose my footing for a time
 
strangers come to my aid 
                                         and i am surrounded by songs of lamentation
 
i sing songs of lamentation 
                                            and i lose my footing for a time
 
everything is broken now 
                                          everything is laid bare
 
you promise me a kingdom 
                                             but everything is so broken now
 
if only we could love one another 
                                                       i could leave you satisfied
 
i would leave you satisfied 
                                            my body transported to a new home
 
i hope it is all worth waiting for 
                                                    tell me it is all worth waiting for

No comments: